What if I don't have English 12?
For students who do not meet the English 12 requirement for admission, we recommend the following options prior to registration:
For English speaking students who require upgrading
- Complete classroom or online-based course(s) that will satisfy PRECI’s English requirement. Information regarding Adult Upgrading can be found at, http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/adult-education/adult-upgrading.
For ESL Students
- Complete classroom or online-based course(s) that will satisfy PRECI’s English requirement. Information regarding learning English can be found at, http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/adult-education/adult-upgrading-learn-english.
For students who already have a high level of skill in English reading, writing and grammar
The English requirement may also be challenged with satisfactory scores from one of the following tests with the following minimum scores:
- PRECI English Placement Test provided online by Powell English Testing: Overall score: 65/100. This online assessment can be booked and completed from anywhere. Results are sent within 24 hours. Visit www.powellenglishtesting.com to sign up.
- ACCUPLACER (Grade 12 English Equivalency Test). Reading Comprehension 260+, Writing Skills 250+, Writeplacer Essay 5+. This online assessment can be booked and completed from anywhere through North Island College. For more information, email NIC Assessment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org and request an Accuplacer English assessment for Pacific Rim.
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): B
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL): Overall score: 60, Reading: 60, Listening: 60, Writing: 60, and Speaking: 60
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) or Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLBP): Listening: 7, Speaking: 7, Reading: 7, and Writing: 7
- Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): C
- International English Language Testing System - General (IELTS): Overall score: 6.0 with no band less than 6.0
- International English Language Testing System - Academic (IELTS): Overall score: 6.0 with no band less than 6.0
- International Test of English Proficiency - Academic (iTEP): Overall Assessment: Level 4.0, Grammar: 4.0, Listening: 4.0, Reading: 4.0, Writing: 4.0, Speaking: 4.0
- Language Proficiency Index (LPI): Score: 5 or higher
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) with the MELAB Oral Interview: Final score: 85 with 3 in the speaking test
- Pearson Test of English - Academic (PTE): Overall score: 65, Reading: 60, Listening: 60, Writing: 60, and Speaking: 60
- TOEFL Internet-based test: Overall score: 80, Reading: 20, Listening: 20, Writing: 20, and Speaking: 20
- TOEFL Paper-based test with the TWE (Test of Written English): Reading: 55, Listening: 55, Writing: 55, and TWE: 4.0
- Vancouver Community College – English Language Assessment (VCC - ELA): Listening: 25/30, Speaking: 27/30, Essay: 16/20, and Reading: 50/70
All assessments will be at the expense of the prospective student.