Who can be a proctor?
Students should write exams at a College or University testing centre. Or, if students meet the technical requirements, they may also be eligible to write exams online using Proctorio's online software.
A list of eligible facilities can be found on our "Where can I write my exam" FAQ. Testing centres provide a professional environment in which to write exams and minimize the possibility of an error made during the exam that would result in the exam needing to be re-written.
While testing centres are recommended for examinations, in some cases alternatives (which are subject to approval) may be used. Alternative testing locations will only be considered for students living in rural communities where testing facilities are not accessible.
The following people may be eligible for approval to proctor exams if they offer a professional proctor service. These options are generally only considered for approval if a testing centre is not available in your community. While the following occupations are eligible it does not guarantee that they offer a proctoring service:
- Public librarian or librarian assistant
- First Nations Band education officer
- Military base/station education officer
- Embassy education officer
- Ecclesiastical leader
- Full-time high school public librarian
Eligible proctors must have a professional email address. Examinations cannot be sent to personal accounts like Gmail, Hotmail, etc.
Due to a conflict of interest, the following individuals are ineligible for approval:
- Faculty and staff members of a college or university that are not specifically employed in a testing centre
- Preschool administrator, educators and counsellors
- Relatives or friends of the student
- Student's employer or colleague
- Anyone with a relationship to the student that may result in a conflict of interest in proctoring an exam (ECE's)
- Anyone not offering a professional proctor service to the general public
- Any professional proctor that is unable to properly supervise and follow the examination instructions
Proctors are to be arranged by the student. Proctors may or may not charge a fee for their services. The fee can range from around $30-75 per exam.